Wednesday, February 4, 2009

We didn't fall off the face of the Earth...

Not yet anyway! I know that it has been fooorrevvver since I have updated our blog, things (as usual) have just been a little hectic.

First of all, I have some WONDERFUL news to share with you. Back in Dec. my Mom went for a follow up doctor appointment. To keep a long story short, her doc back in Austin found "a suggestion of" a metastasis in her spine and wanted to start her on radiation immediately and gave her 1-3 more years to live. It's a darn good thing my Mom has a good head on her shoulders and a strong will... she told them no way and got a referral here to M.D. Anderson. After going through several more tests, the docs here found that it was not cancer in her spine... it is arthritis!!! I have never been more thrilled that my Mom just has arthritis! (sorry Mom!) Our prayers have been answered... my Mom continues to have her good health! She has been on such a huge roller coaster these last few months with being told that she has 1-3 more years and then to be told that nothing is wrong. Please continue to pray that she can find peace with her day to day life and be able to live it to the fullest now... she deserves it!

We had a scare with Len also back in Dec. On our anniversary, I took my husband to the ER due to heart problems. Talk about scary. On the day that we are suppose to be celebrating past years together and looking forward to many more down the road, we were sitting in an ER room. He was in atrial fibrillation and flutter (basically the top chambers of his heart weren't contracting... they were fluttering). This causes circulation and oxygenation issues and can be a very scary thing because clots can form... then he could have a stroke. They were able to give him a med that converted him back into normal sinus rhythm and sent him home with some blood thinners. I had to give him Lovenox shots everyday until he could follow up with his cardiologist the next week. Once he got in to see his cardiologist, they ran some more tests, sent him home with a monitor to wear for 2 weeks, and told him to continue to take his meds but to stop the Lovenox injections (he was thrilled about that!) So far the beta blocker that they put him on seems to be working because he has not had anymore "episodes". As for his pig valve, that still seems to be working well... so in the end everything turned out to be fine, we just had some very scary moments.

And I know you are all wondering about those precious babies... they are just as cute as can be! They did get sick about 3 weeks ago with a horrible cold. Maddie got it first, then Daddy, then Mommy, then Gavin. Madaleine seems to be well now, but Gavin still has his runny nose, horrible cough, and is now on antibiotics for an ear infection. Other than that they are both doing just fine and growing up way to fast! Of course they are walking, or running rather, all over the place! They are starting to understand some things. They know what no no means. It is so funny because when they find a no no (a shoe, the cat food bowl, etc.) they will pick it up and bring it to us saying "no no no no". Surprisingly Gavin seems to be talking a lot more than Maddie. Gavin has many things that he says... ba pa for backpack, no no, titat for kitty cat, ba for ball, and of course the usual ma ma, da da and things like that. He does try to imitate whatever you say as well. Madaleine is getting a more independent personality and is wanting to do everything herself. She gets very frustrated with things if they are not doing what she wants them to do. They are both off bottles and are using sippy cups! I was so worried about how to get them off the bottle, but soon after they turned 12 months it just happened! They are good little scheduled nappers... they take a nap from about 11:00-1:00 and then again about 4:30 to 5:30. We are still working on eating table food. Since they got sick we took a few steps back. Hopefully once they start feeling better they will eat a little better. I sure do love our kids... they put a smile on my face every day!

As for me, I am trying to find a balance in my life (I know all the Moms out there know what I'm talking about!) I have a lot to juggle, and I am trying every day to do it more efficiently and to do it with a joyful heart! Sometimes the day to day things that I do just seem to be so mundane... wash sippy cups, make breakfast, wash high chair trays, laundry... you get the picture. I am finding that if I am able to do these things with a joyful heart, my day seems to go a little smoother and I am happier overall. I also am trying to keep up, but understand that if one day I don't get everything done that it's okay... there is always tomorrow.

I know you are probably expecting pictures, but you will have to wait. The fact of the matter is that I have not uploaded any recently and am just to tired to do it tonight. I promise though... I will put some pictures of those little angels up soon!

No comments: